Painting the Inside of a Caravan: How to Pimp Your Old Motorhome
6 min reading time
We explain to you how you can paint the inside of your caravan, easily and without having to sand.
Table of contents
2. Paint the inside of your caravan or use chalk paint?
3. Instructions: How to paint the interior of your camper (incl. video)
4. FAQ: Frequently asked questions about camper van renovation
5. An overview of all tips for making over the interior of your caravan
6. Conclusion: The work is worth it
New paint for your old caravan and inspiration
- A typical caravan. Our customer found it too old-fashioned.
- Now the caravan looks much brighter and really cosy.
- The old caravan was getting a bit long in the tooth.
- The new paint job makes everything look much more modern.
- The wood panelling seemed too gloomy and cramped.
- The new paint makes the motorhome look much more spacious.
- This motorhome had already been through a lot and was in desperate need of a change.
- With a fresh coat of paint, it's ready for new adventures again.
- What used to be cutting-edge is now outdated.
- The old wood look was no longer to our customer's taste.
- Simply paint! The camper will look bright and friendly again.
- Many fond memories were in this motorhome, but the colour no longer appealed.
- Freshly painted, nothing stands in the way of your next holiday.
- What was fashionable in the past simply no longer fits the times.
- A huge difference! Now everything looks very modern.
- The old camper van kitchen was longing for some colour.
- With a new coat of paint, cooking is a real pleasure again.
- The special style of the caravan should be brought out here.
Perhaps you have already used foil to change the surfaces. In the process, you've probably noticed how difficult it can be to cut neatly in rounded areas and get a nice result. The idea of doing this procedure on all surfaces doesn't seem very attractive.
However, that doesn't mean you have to give up on redesigning your motorhome.Simply paint it with water-based paint, which also saves you sanding. You don't have to worry about an unpleasant smell either, because our varnishes and paints are virtually odourless.
If you want to renovate your caravan and give it a new look, you'll find the best and easiesttips and tricks here.
Paint the inside of the caravan or paint it with chalk paint?
You want to renovate your camper, but the choice of colours is causing you agony? Find out about the advantages of our varnishes and chalk paints here. Just choose the colour that best suits you and your needs!
These are the advantages of varnish
But if you paint the surfaces with varnish, you can be sure of a beautiful result with just a few tools. Our narrow brushes, especially the narrow angled brush, can easily get into every corner. In some cases, you can even do withoutmasking.
These are the advantages of chalk paint
chalk paints are low-odour, offer you anelegant look and impress with their smooth application. With the velvety coating, you can easily upgrade the surfaces in your motorhome.
Instructions: How to paint the interior of your camper van
DIY: Painting the inside of a caravan with varnishesn and chalk paints
With our step-by-step guide, you'll have no questions left unanswered! Learn how to paint your caravan effectively and for a long time.
Step 1: Dismantle and mask offPreparing your project is just as important as the renovation itself. First remove all doors from your furniture that you want to paint. The same goes for any small parts that you can remove. Simply tape and cover the areas you don't want to paint and can't remove.
Step 2: CleaningNow clean all surfaces to be painted, as they must be free of dust and grease before painting. Use our To Clean for this, as you can also use it for the painted furniture, as well as for other areas in your caravan.
Step 3: Prime the surfacesIf your surfaces are laminated or veneered, it is worth applying a primer for better adhesion. For your plastic surfaces To Bond is the perfect product, for veneer we recommend To Block. With this insulating primer you prevent substances from bleeding from the wood into the paint and at the same time ensure optimal hold. Let this coat dry for about 4 hours.
Step 4: PaintingNow the big moment has arrived: it's time for your coat of paint. Varnish best with a varnish roller or a brush. Especially for corners and small areas, our MissPompadour To Paint brushes are perfect. You can use them to paint corners without having to mask them off.
Give the varnish4 - 6 hours to dry after each coat. Then you can apply another coat of paint.
Don't be fooled by the first coat - after 2-3 more coats and curing, you will get a perfect result that is guaranteed to impress you.
Step 5: SealingEspecially in the motorhome, an additional sealant is extremely useful and sensible. In confined spaces, it can happen that you bump into the painted surface with a pan or an edge. Protect your new paint with MissPompadour To Seal.
Video: Project camper van paint: MissPompadour Suitcase Camera - Susan paints her new motorhome!
FAQ: Frequently asked questions about motorhome renovation
What other colours are suitable for painting the inside of motorhomes?
We recommend our chalk varnishes, as well as our sustainable varnishes and colours. You can start using them right after cleaning.
Can I paint the inside of my caravan without sanding beforehand?
With our paints, you do not have to sand smooth surfaces first. You only need to correct and remove any marks and stubborn dirt beforehand.
Can I also wallpaper and paint the inside of my caravan?
You can wallpaper the walls inside your motorhome before painting the furniture. Vinyl and non-woven wallpapersare best suited for this. Make sure that you use a stable adhesive for the wallpaper, because compared to a plastered wall, the wall in the caravan is very smooth.
All tips for the interior makeover of your caravan in the overview
Choose a soft colour that is not too dominant. This will give you an open and cosy atmosphere when you paint the inside of your caravan.
Finally, embellish your camper with matching decorations. If you'restill lookingfor the perfect accessories to start your trip, check out Wildnest - their shop is full of sustainable and useful products that you won't want to miss on your next trip.
Conclusion: The work is worth it
And if the colour shade eventually goes out of fashion, choose a new colour.
Because with our colours, you can just paint!
Finished reading yet?
Here you will find more exciting topics